Thursday, August 6, 2009

Code Open



This poster was created for my Intro Graphic Design class. The project was to take 2 random words given by our teacher and create anything we wanted out of it. I loved how our teacher was very flexible in what we could create out of it. Some examples were books, cd covers, a product, stuff like that.

I chose the words "Code Open." It reminded me of a Speakeasy back in the 1920's were prohibition was in effect. And the idea of having to say a code to get into one of the speakeasy clubs. I decided to do a new LA nightclub that would celebrate the roaring '20's called Code: Open. The advertisement would be a 3 page magazine spread inside of Los Angeles Magazine in the Special Advertisement section.

I wanted the martini poster to have an art deco feel because that was prevalent at the time and it's a good attention getter. For the spread, I wanted it to look like a mock-up of the club. I found some pictures on Flickr of a nightclub that fits Code: Open's style. I made the pictures look like sketches in Photoshop and it's placed in front of a grid. The teacher didn't really like the grid, she would've liked something that fit the era better. I'll have to go back and make some fixes when I put it in my portfolio.

2 comments:

milk tea + polkadots said...

Love the martini glass! Did you make it in Illustrator? Nice nice.

Judy Gerali said...

thank you! yep, maritni poster all in illustrator. A lot of it came from successful accidents. :)